Monday, September 14, 2009

It's Raining, It's Pouring!

Hey Y’all!!!

Goll-eeeee, it has been quiet a week!!! First, I will start with the weather…RAIN!!! It has poured here the last several days and the people are so grateful! We have been in a bad drought for awhile and the Lord has answered our prayers and sent us a TON of rain!!! Yay! It has been lots of fun for Sister Davenport and I because we are both not super used to rain so if it started raining while we were out knocking doors we were like “Hooray!” and then kept on going knocking. We had a lot of fun in the rain. But it was kinda scary cause Sister Davenport drives like a maniac in the rain! Ha ha At one point this week I was laughing hysterically as we were driving down the road to get to an appointment and Sister D had to swerve around all of these big blue recycle bins in the middle of the road! Ha ha Encino Park area is very hilly and so the rain created a heavy stream on the roads that pulled all of the garbage cans from the side of the curbs into the middle of the street! Ha ha Sister D was swerving around them all like we were on a test track practice course! Good times! When we got out of our appointment we were going to do some service and take the cans back to their rightful place on the curb, but someone had either already done it or all the cans floated away, ha ha I am not sure which! Lol

So yes the rain has been fun but also there has been something else that has kept a giant smile on my face all week… GOLDEN INVESTIGATORS! I up to this point in my mission have never come in contact with “golden” investigators, but well now I have. And it ROCKS! Their names are Jewel and Christopher and we have set them with a baptismal date for September 26th. Jewel is 59 and her son Christopher is 35 and is special needs, but he operates like on a 12-year-old level and is 100% accountable. Jewel has been trying different churches for years now. She went to the Episcopal Church for awhile and then joined a Baptist church and she just never has felt “at home” in a church. She was on facebook a few weeks a go and ran across an old friend she grew up with in the Episcopal Church and she started talking to him about religion. Well he told her that he converted to Mormonism years ago and then he bore his testimony to her and told her to check out mormon.org So she did, she went online and requested like every video and booklet offered on the website and we got a zillion texts from church headquarters, the last of which was my favorite. She had written in the comments section- “I want to learn more about your church and possibly join it” So you can imagine how stoked we were to receive those texts!! So we have been teaching her everyday this week and we have had members come to all of the lessons and things are going so well! They came to mutual on Wednesday to check out the building and meet some people, they loved it! Then yesterday they came to church and Jewel felt so welcomed and Christopher as well. We have taught them almost all the lessons, Jewel has read starting at the beginning of the Book of Mormon like on Tuesday and is already on Jacob. One of the ward members bought Christopher a copy of the Book of Mormon reader, as Christopher likes to call it “my comic book version” ha ha it’s cute. The neatest part of all of this was something Jewel said in our lesson last night. I was asking her how she felt about all of this and she said, “I have always been searching for the right church, now I’ve found it and it just feels so good. I get goosebumps all the time when I read my Book of Mormon at night and I always feel so good inside when y’all come over. It is hard to describe but it feels like I am changing, there is something happening inside of me, it’s like I am being changed by all of this. It feels so good, like I have been needing this change for a long time and it has finally come.” So ya when she said that I got the hugest smile on my face and said- Jewel that is why I am out here, to watch people’s lives be touched and changed by the gospel!! Ya man, being a missionary rocks!! Oh and Jewel is from New Orleans so she has a super cool accent! :) She is an awesome lady!

Well it has been a busy week, a part from having a lesson with Jewel everyday this week we have a few other investigators and a lot of work going on, we have been so busy!!! Sister Davenport and I are totally ok with that though, we say that being too busy as a missionary is the BEST problem to have!! Ha ha so ya things are going very well here. The Encino Park ward is awesome! They are so stoked for this baptism, they haven’t had a baptism in this ward in over a year and we are ending the drought!!! So two different types of droughts are coming to an end here in Encino Park, the rain drought and the Baptism drought!!!! Yee-haw!!


Well I hope Y’all have a fantastic week and I hope some of this rain heads your way!

SMILING ALL THE WHILE,
Sister Kleisler

No comments: